13 May 2015

Sicily: typical food

Ciao ragazzi,
I just got back from Sicily and I love that place very much. During following articles I am gonna tell you what was it like there. I actually might write about this amazing island for whole month. I am studying hard for my exams so there are not many interesting topics anyway. (not studying that hard if I just spent 10 day in Italy, right? yeah, you got a point)


First, let me tell you something about yesterday.

Ok, so yesterday I was visiting smaller cities around Palermo. When I was in Casteldaccia, taking photos of their beautiful square, somebody called me. I had just vibration on my phone, so normally I would not hear it. It was a woman from Alitalia (the company I was flying with). Due to big fire in Rome, approximately 40% of flights have been cancelled. So, they offered me to fly the same day (Tuesday) at 5:55 am. Next option was to fly 4 days later. I cannot imagine what would happen if I did not answer that phone call. I would probably be still in Palermo. Luck??

My dinner- Spaghetti alla carbonara- Sicilian style. This is my favourite meal.


I was supposed to sleep in this hostel (already paid for it).


Instead I slept at the airport. There is one thing I want to say about this. In Palermo, there is a free wifi and these seats are actually very comfortbale. The airport is better than the one in Los Angeles!!


You can see that I am very tired (due to goodbye party in Gangi, I slept only 45 minutes).


So, yesterday was just crazy. I am back in the Czech Republic, that is important. And now let´s back to food :-)


First article is about typical food in Italy and I love Italian cuisine very much.

Now let me tell you first a little bit about my first stay in Sicily. All photos below come from that period of time. As you might know first time I went to Sicily in August 2013. My plan was to visit my Erasmus friends. However 2 weeks before my flight I discovered that they will not be there as they promised. So, I decided to try Couchsurfing and it turns out it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Pizza
In Sicily you can find two kind of pizza. I don´t know which one I prefere because I like both.


Naples kind of pizza.


Pasta con nero delle sepie
This is very tasty. Highly recommend it.


Spaghetti con le cozze
(mussels)
My favourite meal is Spaghetti alla vongole (clams). Everytime I go to Italy I just have to eat it no matter what.



Pescespada arrostito
(roasted swordfish)


Octopus
Eating some menu in Palermo.


Ricci di mare
(Sea urchins)

Cannolo
Italian dolce of Sicilian origins.



Gelato and granita
I can not describe how much I love Italian ice-cream. It is the best in the world. I always want also their "panna" (cream).

granita
gelato

Water from Geraci Siculo
In Sicily everybody knows a little village called Geraci Siculo. I have been there and I love that place. It is famous across the island for their water. You can usually order it in restaurant as you can see on this photo.


Dinner with friends
Homemade dishes are the best, no doubt.




Thanks to my CS friends I had a chance to try all kind of traditional dishes. Some of them even home made. I am very happy for Couchsurfing and I highly recommend it to you in case you want to travel alone but also meet some local people. It is the best thing you can do. Next article will be about Gangi.  

Arrivederci

No comments:

Post a Comment